Hi, hope you're doing well. I wanted to let you know that Turbo Tools v3 is now available for download. It's a massive update chiefly directed at helping you to reduce your animation render times by as much as 40x!
The changes are as follows:
- Temporal Stabilising. The big new feature which will dramatically speed up animation render times by letting you avoid using higher samples than necessary just to avoid flicker. Check out the video demonstrating it’s effectiveness and how to use it: https://youtu.be/bvXkfrCXaV4
- New animation option which optimises the chosen sample pre-set for animations, helping ensure better results without the hassle of repeatedly trialling different sample settings. When combined with the temporal stabiliser, the Very High pre-set will generally provide production quality renders unless the scene has extremely difficult to render elements.
- Each scene in the same blend file can now have a different cache folder. The cache folder in the user preferences is now only used as the default when adding a new scene. This adds flexibility and also simplifies setup on render farms. Any scenes whose cache directory has not yet been specified will be updated when setting the default location in the user preferences .
- Render regions will automatically be set to the nearest divisible by 2 resolution when ‘Render Region’ and ‘Crop to Render Region’ are enabled in Blender’s output properties panel. This is necessary if outputting to an ffmpg video format. The feature has been added because rendering a small region with crop enabled means the denoising process is much faster. Useful when trying to quickly ascertain the optimum 'User' samples using the noisiest area of the scene.
- Simplified usage so that people don’t need to worry about the compositor at all. Pre-render checks will now create missing node trees if possible, whereas previously the node tree would only be checked and created during the first render. If you have a composite node already that’s wired up, then the node tree won’t be automatically created, otherwise you’d never be able to render the compositor without the 3d scene.
- Forward compatibility added with the new separate and combine rgba nodes introduced in Blender 3.3.
- Turbo Comp operations are now greyed out during playback and rendering to avoid over zealous users launching simultaneous operations which could lead to black output during the next publish or rendering operation.
- Sample pre-sets have been revised so each gives better results with minimal render time impact.
- Two new sample pre-sets added : 'Medium Rare' and 'Very High'. Medium Rare is the old medium renamed, whilst medium now produces a result between Medium Rare and High. Very High is a middle ground between High and Ultra and is recommended for production quality animations.
- The addon now circumvents a Blender bug which could result in passes that use a vector format, not being stored correctly in the EXR cache files. This could lead to incorrect results when using data passes in both Blender and 3rd party compositors.
- Menus and tooltips improved
- Bug fixes
- Performance improvements
It's a huge update under the hood, and whilst it has been fine tuend and tested rigorously for a number of weeks, if you run into any bugs, I'd be grateful if you could report them along with the steps needed to replicate, and any errors shown in the terminal, to the support email address found on your receipt.